Diary Dates 2013
Wed 6rd Feb
Closing date for Seminar reply slips and AGM nominations.
Wed 20th Feb
Loughborough Town Hall, Market Place, Loughborough, Leicestershire LE11 3EB
Fri Jun 7th
Closing date for EMIB Children's Art & Digital Photography Competition
Mon Jul 1st-12th
EMIB Judging Period
Mon Jul 1st-31th
EMiB It's Your Neighbourhood assessment period.
Wed Sep 11th
EMIB Awards Presentation at Grosvenor Hotel, North Parade, Skegness, Lincolnshire PE25 2TE.
Welcome to East Midlands in Bloom
East Midlands in Bloom is an annual competition organised by the EMIB Regional Committee, and is one of the 18 regions/nations which comprise 'Britain in Bloom', the campaign organised by the Royal Horticultural Society.
East Midlands in Bloom is a voluntary, non profit making organisation and covers the six counties of Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Northamptonshire and Rutland.
The aim of the competition is to encourage the improvement of our surroundings through the imaginative use of trees, shrubs, flowers and landscaping. It also aims to achieve a litter free and sustainable environment. This links directly to the three RHS core pillars of
excellence which are:
- Horticultural Achievement
- Environmental Responsibility
- Community Participation
By taking on board the above criteria and using the whole community to get involved many communities have reported the following benefits:-
- Increase in civic pride through local people taking on the planning and management of their environment
- Long term improvement in their local environment through planting floral displays and improved cleanliness
- A boost to the local economy through increased tourism
- Regeneration of disadvantaged areas
- Stimulation of voluntary work and co-operation between community groups
- A means to address issues such as sustainability, recycling, minimising waste and conservation.
Entry can be made by District Council, Town Council, Parish Council or a Voluntary Local Bloom Group.
East Midlands in Bloom covers Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, and Rutland.
BRITAIN IN BLOOM – National Competition
A number of regional winners will be chosen to represent East Midlands in Bloom in the UK Finals. They will compete against the winners from 11 other English regions, together with Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man.
Details of the National Competition and educational activities for children can be found at www.rhs.org.uk/britaininbloom